Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

weaning

anonymous asks: Since you are a breastfeeding mother, and Claire is almost a year now. Will you continue to nurse her for a while, or wean right away? Also, would you consider donating your stockpiled milk to a milk bank to be used for NICU babies?


answer:  the second part of the question is easy to answer - no, I will not be donating any milk to a milk bank.  Reason being that I don't have any milk to donate.  I only pumped a dozen or so times right after I had Claire, and that milk is long gone.  With my work situation being different this time, I just didn't find pumping to be a priority.  I nursed her whenever I was with her and we gave her formula when I wasn't around (approximately 3 times a week).  If I did have an abundance of milk frozen that I didn't think I would get around to using then I would definitely look into donating it.  That's just not the case. 
 
As for weaning Claire, I don't see me nursing her for a long while, nor do I see myself weaning her right away.  I think I still start the weaning process right when she turns one, but I'll probably take my time with it.  I'm going to play it by ear and takes cues from Claire.  I have a feeling it will be harder to wean Claire than it was to wean Trent....but maybe she'll prove me wrong.

No comments: