Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

freezer meals

When I was pregnant with Trent I did everything I could think to prepare myself and the house for the arrival of a new baby.  I did what people recommended, I did what the books said, I did what I thought I was supposed to.  One of the things I intended to do but didn't get around to was making freezer meals.  Fortunately, my mother-in-law read my mind and hooked us up.  One random day she gave us a good dozen containers filled with different foods.  After we had the baby other people surprised us with dinners as well (Kevin's coworkers, neighbors, etc).  Whenever my mom visited during the day she would bring us lunch.  We loved it.  We ate the meals we both liked for dinners together, and the meals I didn't like got sent to work with Kevin for lunch.  By the end of it we were sick of lasagna (I think we had 5 lasagnas given to us) but I wouldn't have had it any other way!  It was so nice to not have to worry about cooking every night and not having to settle on take-out or drive-thrus.   

At Christmas time this year I earned a free turkey from the grocery store.  I finally thawed that sucker and cooked it a couple weekends ago.  We had a turkey dinner that night, then the next night I went ahead and made a couple meals specifically for the freezer for post-labor.  I made Shredded BBQ Turkey, and Turkey Pot Pie using this recipe (substituting turkey for chicken and turkey gravy for chicken gravy.  It's fantastic!).  I intended to make turkey enchiladas as well but I didn't have enough soft shells.  Instead, I shredded up the rest of the turkey and froze it as-is.  Already in the freezer (from weeks before) we have some "eh" chicken & dumplings and some shepard's pie.  More recently I was able to add some lasagna and some stuffed peppers filling.  I had originally planned to make a few more meals, but I doubt I will get around to it at this point - and that's ok.  I'm happy with the stash I was able to make.

EDIT:  I was able to add meatloaf last night :-)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

AWESOME!!!! You rock! I never did any of that, nor did anyone give us meals. Steve just cooked. That worked for me! :0