By far, the biggest pleasant surprised I've experienced with these cloth diapers has been their absorbency. I knew I would have to change Trent's diaper more often with cloth because they don't absorb as much as disposables, so I guess that had me expecting.....well, I'm not sure.
Around the time Trent turned 1 we had to start using Overnight Disposable diapers. With regular diapers, by the time Trent woke up in the morning his clothes would be wet with pee. Because of this, I diagnosed him as a "heavy wetter". Some kids are, some aren't.
The overnight diapers always worked wonderfully, though sometimes he would annihilate one. Have you ever seen the insides of a disposable when it's wet? I have. It's gross. There are these tiny little gel-like balls filling the diaper. There's been a couple times where Trent would wake up with a hole in his diaper and these little gel things all over his belly area. It's gross.
Fast forward to my cloth diaper research. Apparently it's very common for moms for buy different cloth diapers specifically for over-night use. Others will buy inserts made of more absorbent materials (remember I talked about how my cloth diapers are "pocket diapers", meaning you stuff the diaper with an insert?!) Many moms even use disposable overnight diapers when they can't find cloth that works for them.
I automatically assumed we'd be one of those parent's using overnight disposables forever because I knew we had a heavy wetter on our hands, and honestly, I didn't want to go through the trial and error process of finding the right diaper/insert-combo that worked for us. To me, that meant many disrupted nights and middle-of-the-night diaper changes. Before receiving my order of cloth diapers in the mail I decided to go ahead and order a few Hemp inserts. Hemp is huge among CD'ing mothers. It's known to be super absorbent while leaving the diaper trim fitting. Before the hemp inserts arrived we ran out of overnight diapers so I went ahead and gave my regular Bumgenius diapers an overnight try. Don;t you know Trent woke up dry! I mean, the diaper was wet of course, but his clothes were perfectly dry. Almost every night since then we've been using the Bumgenius diapers (without hemp) and they've worked fantastically!
Like I said - the most pleasant surprise!
Now I have 4 hemp inserts that have never been used.
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment