Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

the start of cloth diapers....

The Arrival

 I came home from work last Tuesday and this box was waiting for me.  It felt like Christmas.
enclosed were my baby legs (free and adorable)...
2 beautiful wetbags (I am extremely happy with the quality and durability thus far)....
the newborn covers (tiny and adorable)
the main diapers (also adorable)
...and the liners & snappi's.  Here is everything from the one shipment!
Here's a picture of the newborn covers next to a standard bottle of water.  see how tiny they are

Here's a close up of one of the Bumgenius diapers. you can clearly see the snaps that you use to adjust the rise of the diaper, depending on the size of your baby
and here is a Bumgenius diapers alongside the 2 inserts that are included.  There is a pocket inside the diaper where you stuff those inserts
said pocket
First Day

Yesterday was the very first time I put Trent in his new diapers.  He didn't seem to care one way or the other about them but it didn't take him long to christen them.  I was scraping poop into the toilet within an hour.  It's not the most pleasant experience, but it doesn't bother me too much. 

Kevin hasn't warmed up to the diapers yet, but it's only been 24 hours - he needs time. 

We put Trent in a disposable overnight diaper last night (like we always do), instead of a cloth diaper, because Trent is a heavy wetter and I'm not ready to see if these cloth diapers will get him through the night.  I'll do a trial run this weekend when I don't have to work in the morning.  If he leaks through the diaper overnight then I will have to invest in some different inserts for the diapers.  Hemp inserts come highly recommended, as they are trim yet super absorbent.  I have a feeling there's going to be some trial and error but we should eventually find a system that works for us. 






Daycare - take 1

I sent some cloth diapers to daycare this morning.  Trent was wearing one, I gave her a wetbag, 2 spare outfits (in case of leaks), and 3 additional diapers.  I sat down with her and briefly showed her how to use them, and that was that.  I'm lucky she's open to using them - I think some daycares have a Disposable Only policy.

I just sent her a text asking if she's had any problems with the diapers so far and her response was, "no, not at all".  That's a good sign.  She said she hasn't dealt with cloth diapers in about 15 years (prefolds) so I'm sure she was relieved when I gave her easy pocket diapers to deal with.

1 comment:

Alicia Kennedy said...

LOL - those piles are insane!