Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The path to a more pleasant conversation with a pregnant lady

Now that I've been pregnant for a total of almost 17 months, I came up with some general rules that I feel most non-pregnant people should follow.  I've had each one of these things happen to me - and yes, maybe I am being too sensitive, but when you're pregnant you're allowed to be sensitive ::smiley face::

Rule #1 - Never EVER comment on what a pregnant woman is eating. This includes, but is not limited to, the following statements:
"are you sure you want to eat that?!" (coworker while im at the snack machine)
"man, you've been eating a lot of junk lately!" (coworker who empties my trash at work)
"maybe you shouldn't go up to the buffet again!" (i never got this one but I'm sure someone somewhere has)

Rule #2 - NEVER mess with, or take, a pregnant woman's food. If you do, she has every right to drop kick you and/or give you the reaming of your life. You will then have to buy her a new meal immediately.  (husband and random fast food workers screwing up my order)

Rule #3 - Before you ask a pregnant woman how much weight she has gained, ask yourself "do I actually care?". You will find that you don't. (different coworker.....almost weekly)

Rule #4 - Never tell a woman who just had a baby "you look great for just having a baby". Either say "You look great", or don't say anything at all. If she doesn't look great, she probably already knows it and is probably stressing about those 10 lbs that are lingering. (tons of random people, including my ever-so-sensitive coworkers)

Rule #5 - If you ask what we pregnant women are naming our child-to-be do not follow up with "I don't like that name" or any other negative reaction. Chances are we don't care what you think about OUR choice and we certainly aren't going to switch names just because you don't like it.  (my dad)

Come to think of it, almost all of these comments I've received came from men.  I guess women just get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh! You should know by now-- men have no filter. Until they carry a child and deal w the joys of pregnancy and childbirth-- they should keep their mouths shut! Hee hee.

Alicia Kennedy said...

We should add something along the lines of "don't always start a conversation with 'so how are you feeling'?"

Then there's the typical to touch or not to touch the belly...

the list could go on and on and on..

Anonymous said...

I agree with the list. Unless of course you are old and then you can ask or do anything you want.