Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

growing up

Anonymous asks: Straying away from baby talk. Since you have been a wife for many years and seem to have a decent house, money to go on vacation with, cars,etc, how did you get there? what were your steps that you took to transition from your parents house (or an apt) to a "real" house? And as you and kevin took those steps together, what were the hardest things to cut back on and did it cause friction in your marriage?


Answer: In all honesty I had a very long, drawn out, and detailed answer for you, but I decided it was too personal for me to post here (for all the world to read) considering I have NO IDEA who is asking. If you want specifics please ask, but in the mean time....



Basically, Kevin and I lived at our parents until we were 21, but had full time jobs right out of high school, which allowed us to save over the years before going right out into the “real world” - unlike some people who jump from their parents to a rent situation and are never able to build up some savings. Since we didn’t make large frivolous purchases- like big shopping trips each month or going to the bars (on a weekly or monthly basis) it was possible to save money for much bigger things we wanted, like vacations and a nice house.


Kevin and I have had our share of vehicles since the age of 16 (me 4, Kevin 3) but mine were always used and super cheap. This meant more money in the bank. When it came time for us to buy our current 'Brand New' cars, Kevin and I both made compromises/sacrifices.



It's all about setting priorities (which vary from person to person) and spending within your means.

No comments: