Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

3rd from the bottom

I had jury duty today.
I left the house extra early to give myself time to get lost, and time to find parking. I always get nervous driving into the city...especially when I had no idea where I'm going in the first place.
I actually passed the building once, so i had to make a few turns and go in the back entrance of the parking garage. no biggie. I didn't bother taking my breast pump inside....all I took with me was my summons form, a book, and some money.
When you enter the bldg you have to go thru metal detectors and pass your larger belongings through the conveyor belt (much like you would have to do at the airport). My Harry Potter book came out the other end of the conveyor belt and the woman in front of me comments on how great a book it is. That was the start of our day-long friendship. We bonded over Potter. Did I mention she was a red head? yeah...so i was bound to like her anyway.
Moving on.
We were scheduled to be there at 8:30 but the sign-in line was so long that we didn't begin orientation until 9:30. There were 250 of us. Not one empty seat in the room. Good thing the A/C was on.
The man in charge of the orientation was pretty much hilarious. He made the entire process bearable and, dare I say it...enjoyable.
He took attendance. He had to call out all 250 names. In alphabetical order. Mine was 3rd from the bottom.
We weren't allowed to leave the room we were in for several hours, but we were allowed to walk around it. There were bathrooms, soda/snack machines, and phones.
We were informed that there were 14 cases being tried today. 45 of us would be called per case (but they would narrow it down to 12 jurors and 2 alternates PER CASE). He called out these 45 names in alphabetical order. I had to wait until the end to hear if my name would be called or not. The suspense was killing me. I was not chosen.
We wait.
Around 11:00am we were given a 20 minute break to do as we please. I ran to the parking garage and collected my pump. My plan want to bring it back to the room we had congregated in and pump in the attached ladies room.
Again, I had to pass through the metal detectors. I sent my pump through the conveyor belt and I walked through the metal detecting arch way. Immediately the (do they have formal titles?) metal-detecting-x-ray-machine-reading-security-guard tells me, very robotically, "no.e.lec.tron.ics". He repeats this about 3 times - i guess i was staring at him with my jaw on the floor. After running this scenario through my head a million times I was still at a loss for words. i finally ask him if there is someone else I can speak to. he told me there was not. So, I turned around and took the pump back to my car.
Part of my wishes I stood up for the pumpers of the world and caused a scene to get my way....alas, i did not ::sigh:: I had my chance to change the world, but I didn't.
I knew we'd be getting an hour lunch break around 1pm. I figured I'd use that time to talk to someone *other than the robotic guard* about bringing my pump inside the building. If they refused then I would pump in my car. Since I don't have tinted windows I was really hoping they'd let the pump pass - but I've done it before, I could do it again.
A little after 1 we were dismissed.
I did not get called to do anything.
Before leaving we had to collect a certificate. A certificate the gentlemen handed out personally. The pile was in alphabetical order. I was the 3rd name from the bottom.
I won't be summoned upon for another 2 years, at least.

First thing I did when I got to work *other than eat lunch....i was starving* was pump. in the privacy of my pump room.

1 comment:

Alicia Kennedy said...

I'm beginning to feel your pain...