Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Claire is 18 months old!

She had her 18 month well visit on Monday - nice and early.  I couldn't have asked for better behaved kids that day!  It didn't hurt that we were on time and the nurses and doctor tended to us in a timely manner.

Claire's weight has plateaued a bit, as most toddlers weight does.  As the doctor put it - kids go from being a pudgy baby to being a slimmer toddler.  That's where Claire is.  She's in the 10th percentile for weight, weighing in at 21lb and 1 oz.  She's in the 30th percentile for height at 31", and her head is in the 35th percentile.  Everything physically looked and sounded great.  She passed the 18-month autism screening.  The doctor all of the questions and concerns I had, and she made suggestions where needed.  I declined the flu shot for Claire and she was completely in agreement with my decision.  The only downer to the visit was the 2 shots Claire had to get, but Claire was a big girl and didn't cry long.

I was supposed to take Claire to get some blood work done before this visit, but I slacked and it never got done.  I decided this time to walk down to the lab immediately following the checkup because I knew it might not happen otherwise. The kids were great again during the wait, but getting the actual blood drawn wasn't a pleasant experience.  The poor girl cried the entire time, and it seemed to take forever to fill up those 2 little vials.  She sat on my lap and I tried to console her as much as possible, but it wasn't until the needle was removed that she stopped crying. 

As a treat they got organic fruit snacks, raisins, and stickers.  Trent really made out - he didn't get poked once and he got to keep his clothes on, and he got rewarded just as much as Claire.  But really, he was so patient with me and he sat so nicely at the doctors and at the lab, he deserved it.

Claire doesn't go back for another 6 months.

No comments: