Alicia Stucky asks: With Scarlett being a newborn and Matthew demanding a lot of extra attention since she came home, it can get really tough to balance time between them (not to mention my step-daughter) and housework/other responsibilities (which I expected) -- Was there anything that helped you balance priorities when Claire first came home, and what age with her did you start to notice it getting a little easier? Assuming that it does! Lol
Answer: ugh. When I was pregnant, everything I ready (mostly advice from other moms of 2 kids close in age) stressed the importance of spending some quality time with your toddler once daddy came home from work - logic being that you basically spent all day focusing 90% of your attention on the newborn and not giving your toddler the attention he needs (or is used to, in some cases). I knew we would be taking Trent out of daycare, so I was extra concerned that he would be all screwed up because A, we just brought home competition......screaming competition, and B, because we totally 100% changed his day-to-day routine.
Well, it didn't take me long at all to realize things weren't quite going the way I had prepared myself for them to go. Even though I had Claire attached to my chest most of the day (either in her carrier or nursing at the teat) I felt like it was HER who wasn't getting the attention she needed. I didn't have all of the peaceful, quiet, alone time that I had when Trent was a newborn. And let's be honest, when you have a newborn laying down, doing nothing exciting and demanding no attention (bless her heart), it's easy to direct your attention toward the rowdy toddler in the room.
Perhaps I was so worried about screwing up Trent that I unconsciously overcompensated by giving Trent too much of my attention??? He never really lashed out at us, or showed signs of jealousy - and Claire didn't demand an obscene amount of my time which would have otherwise caused me to constantly put Claire ahead of Trent - Trent just continued to be his normal, loving self. Needless to say, Claire and I had our main bonding time while Trent was napping and sleeping (although I often have to remind myself that it's our "special time" when I'm getting up at 2:30 in the morning after having gone to bed at midnight because I've been up blogging - when will I learn?).
In the beginning, if I wasn't changing a diaper or nursing, I was doing something with, or for, Trent. The first few weeks were a bit of blur, there was just so much adjusting going on for all of us. With every month things got easier and easier, partly because I was becoming "practiced" and partly because we were falling into ever-changing routines, but routines nonetheless. Now that Claire is sitting up on her own (for the most part) I find the kids starting to play together more and more, which makes things even easier for me. They can entertain each other and I can entertain them together at once. When we go to the park it's no longer just Trent playing - we push Claire on the swing and we help her down the slide. When we do other fun things it's not just Trent having fun while Claire sleeps - Claire is actually awake to see what's going on now.
I don't know if our situation is "normal" or if I sound like a bad mom who neglected her newborn (I certainly don't feel that way, but I don't know how I came across in this blog entry).
Did I answer your question? I really don't know. Maybe I just babbled my way through it without being the slightest bit helpful.
I'm basically ignoring the part of your question that had the word housework in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lol no that was definitely helpful. I can totally relate to how you felt about spending enough engaging time with Claire when she wasn’t demanding attention. That was probably the biggest shock for me. I spent so much time preparing for how I’d spend enough quality time with Matthew, that I realized once she arrived that I hadn’t put a lot of consideration into how much quality time I’d be able to give to the baby. I honestly feel worse about not being huddled over her cooing and talking to her when she’s awake and content than I do about not getting to her immediately when she starts to whimper. Especially now that she’s alert for longer periods of the day now, I’m constantly paranoid that her little brain isn’t being stimulated the way that Matthew’s was. You didn’t come off at all as a bad mom. It’s a really challenging transition to make -- that’s why I asked! :-)
Post a Comment