Well, I had the baby and didn't wear the shoes at all during my maternity leave, but I didn't throw them away. That was mistake #1. After 4 months on maternity leave it was time to go back to work - and what did I do? I slide on my trusty old flats. Yes, they were too wide, but they were there. I wore them, and continue to wear them 5 days a week. I wear them when they don't match my outfit, I wear them when I'm going someplace nice, I wear them on occasion with jeans, and to make matters worse, I wear them with black dress socks (a look I am not a fan of).
Do they always stay on my feet? Absolutely not. Just ask my mother-in-law, who had to help me retrieve one of the shoes as I was walking up the stairs of a fire hall just 3 weekends ago.
Mistake #2 came when we were in California. We were walking Hollywood Blvd and I spotted a DSW store. I have a gift card there so decided to browse. I was immediately overwhelmed and ready to leave (if you've ever seen the size of this store, you can understand why I was overwhelmed). Kevin said to me, "if you need shoes keep looking. Take your time and don't worry about the price, just get something that will last". I didn't listen. Mistake.
Now here I am - still wearing the black flats more than 2 years after purchasing them even though the toes are falling apart, there are tears on the sides, they are too wide, the toe and heel are heavily worn, and I'm sure they stink.
Why don't I care more? I should care more.



2 comments:
Aww, they look comfy and tattered like a baby's favorite stuffed animal or blanket. LOL I also bought a pair of black flats this pregnancy. With Braxton I worked at Lowes and had to wear sneakers, but these were nice for when I had to dress nice and DID NOT want or Couldn't wear heals. Especially since I wore a lot of stretch pants that looked silly with sneakers.
haha yes, it would appear as tho these shoes are my "security blanket".
Post a Comment