Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

an elaboration of my video poll

Some of you might be wondering why I polled you about video taping the birth of your children.  Well, it was basically just one of those random, off the wall questions I was wondering at the time.  I wasn't trying to decide if I would do it or not, I wasn't looking for angle or lighting advice, and I wasn't looking to pass judgment on anyone either way they voted.  I was just curious if you guys would/did do it or not. (4 said they would/did.  16 said no)

I probably should have been more specific in my original description of the poll, but I was talking about close-up shots of the vagina in all it's glory during the delivery process.  Not just head shots or waste-up's.  But anywho....

I learned when I was pregnant with Trent that my hospital doesn't allow such video taping so it didn't matter if I wanted to do it or not.  Of course If I was dead set on it I would have considered changing birth locations (to the birth center perhaps).  Fortunately for me I never had any interested in video taping, so it didn't matter to me either way. 

I remember before Trent was born I asked my mother-in-law what she'd say if I asked her to video tape Trent's birth.  I was expecting her to make a face and say Eww Absolutely No Way!  At the time I was 100% against the idea, I was just trying to get a rise out of her.  FAIL.  She looked at me with a very straight and serious face and said "sure, I would do it".

Oddly enough, I think I'd consider it this time around if it were allowed.  I would like to witness the miracle of birth from a different angle - one that is less exhausting and painful.  I doubt I will ever be anyone's labor coach, so what better way to experience it than to see my own fruit being ripped from my own loin??  I'm sure I'd only ever watch the video once or twice - and I'm sure I'd never let anyone else view it, but I think it would be something I'd cherish those few times I did sit and watch it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was blessed to be present during the birth of Bryan.What an experience!Have to say it was one of the most emotionally,joyful experiences.Beth was a real trooper...went all natural...was very proud of her!!
mom w

Alicia Kennedy said...

If I have another kid, I'll consider letting you be assistant coach... specifically for your ability to see the birth from another angle... that is if it was something you'd be at all interested in.