Julie asks: what would you say are the pros and cons of being a young mom? did you always want to be a young mom?
Answer: At a very young age Kevin and I started talking about how we'd have a family together and how we'd start that family soon. Before we got engaged we thought we'd have a baby by the time we were 21. Of course that all changed when we got engaged and started planning our wedding. In the beginning phase of wedding planning we said we'd have a baby right away - a honeymoon baby. BUT, as the honeymoon approached we decided to "take one more trip" before starting a family. Well, that "one more trip" turned into.......well, i don't even know how many. A few years went by and we were stilling saying "let's go here first". Finally, the timing was right. So, to answer part 2 of your question, yes, I have always wanted to be a young mom.
pros for us/me:
~we should still have plenty of youth and time to do whatever we want once our kids are adults and out of the house
Some of the more generic pros that come to mind are:
~younth generall means more energy, which is something you need when raising kids. ~Obviously there's more health risks for mom and baby when mom is "of a certain age", so I have that one my side.
~Statistically speaking, I will be alive to watch my kids grow longer
The cons to being a young mom (for me) are:
~Not all of my friends were in the baby-making club. I had 2 groups of friends. One group already had kids, one group did not. I assumed when I got pregnant I would lose that second group of friends all together. They were still into hanging out late and drinking.... and they certainly weren't anywheres near the parenting phase of life, so I assumed we'd grow apart very quickly. To them I would be boring, and to me they would be immature. (I should also say that I was pleasantly surprised when I did not lose that group of friends at all).
~Maybe I need to give them more thought, but I can't think of other cons for me personally!
Honestly, I don't really consider myself a "young mom". To me, young moms are between the ages of 16 (or younger) and 21-ish. I was 25 when I had Trent. Definitely not old (I'm not saying I'm an old mom) just not young.
It appears to me that young moms (by my definition) have the potential to have so many more cons than I have. Maybe they can't finish school, maybe they can't start a career, maybe they never get to travel, maybe they never get to party, maybe they don't have a chance to get financially settled first, maybe this, maybe that.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment