as many of you know we are getting ready for our first vacation as a family of 4.
I love printing out my packing list. I love getting everything organized. I love crossing things off my list one by one. I am a freak.
So last week I got the luggage out and started packing. I have a few small bags that I keep in the linen closet that I never unpack. These bags contain things like q-tips, cotton balls, bandaids, hair ties, lint brush, etc. This makes the packing of toiletries easy and quick. Since we're going to a beach inside the United States i figured we'd be packing light. All we need are bathing suits, right? Wrong! I'm finding that we need alot. There's the obvious daywear (be it shorts & tanks), sleepwear, swimwear, undergarments, 1 nice outfit (we're going to celebrate our anniversary while we're away), 1 outfit for a cold night. All that times 3. beach towels. bath towels. sheets. pillows. Then there's the baby's stuff: pack-n-play. diapers. stroller(s). entertainment. Since we're staying in a house I plan to bring: some of my own food, alcohol, laundry detergent. For the beach we need: our chairs, cabana, wagon(?). We're bringing Maggie, so there will be a box for her stuff too. All this stuff takes up mucho space. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
To save space I already cut out board games, medicine, and the baby tub. There are supposed to be board games at the house already...and if we get sick we'll run to the local pharmacy. no biggie. Oh, and I originally planned to bring a cooler filled with some food that I'd rather buy here....but I think that's out of the question as well.
We might be borrowing my parents SUV... if for some reason we cant - we're screwed. The trunk of my car barely holds my stroller. I guess I should call my dad about his suv. If we have to take my car we're going to have to seriously trim out some of the fat....though I really don't know how to do that. I'm already only packing enough clothes to get us 1/2 thru the week, then we'll do laundry.
Should be interesting packing the car on Saturday ;-)
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I was just thinking today about what I'll need for our short weekend to NC and am concerned about fitting it all in the Jeep - I can't imagine fitting it all in the car.
Might be a good time to trade in your car for a "New or Certified Pre-owned" SUV/Mini-Van. There's still time to seal the deal before Saturday. Wouldn't it be nice to head out on vacation in a more spacious vehicle and then you don't have to stress about not being able to bring all your comforts from home!! Other alternative: Rent a Great, Fun vehicle for the week :)
haha we will not be trading my car in anytime soon, but thanks for the idea. Renting a car is an option I never considered,but definitely a good option.
The good news is that we're definitely going to borrow my parents SUV, so we should be good to go now!
to lessen the amount of luggage try space saver bags - we got ours from Target. Michael and i packed for the last cruise in one large suitcase - and you know how it goes with cruise packing, beach wear, night time, formal dinner, regular dinner, excurion wear, chilly nights, etc. i was very sceptical when Michale brought them home - now i swear by them. Have fun!!!
awesome, thanks for the suggestion!!!!!
Post a Comment