As I've mentioned before, i pump my breast milk three times a day at work. After each pumping session I put the milk in a cooler, then put the cooler in our company refrigerator. Nobody other than myself ever sees the actually bottles of milk.
Some of my coworkers don't acknowledge that I pump at all, while other's will occasionally comment on it, "how long do you plan to breastfeed?" and "my wife...". There's one coworker in particular that has no problem cracking a joke or boldly asking a question about the whole process in general. I have to walk by his office to get to my pump room and sometimes he'll yell out, "good luck pumping" or "good pump day today?". It's funniest when someone else hears him say/ask stuff because you can tell they don't know how to take it. Is he allowed to ask that? is he being serious? is she going to get mad? is she going to file a sexual harassment suit?
So several weeks ago this guy (lets call him milk-boy) started bringing in milk so he could eat cereal at work every morning. Does he bring in a normal milk jug? Course not. He brings it in in a water bottle. You know when you go to the grocery store and buy a 24-pack of water? that size bottle. What is it, 12oz? I don't know. One day him and I were talking about it and I told him that someone was going to think that was my breast milk (even though I have been storing my milk for months at work and never once has it been on display....I just know the kinda guys i work with). Weeks go by and nobody has commented to either of us about it....until today! Apparently milk-boy was in the kitchen when another coworker was loading the fridge with soda saying something along the lines of, "I'm putting my milk up here next to Barbie's breast milk". Milk-boy could have let him continue thinking it was mine but fortunately he let it be known that the milk was actually his. He went on to make fun of the guy for thinking I would pump my milk into a water bottle, haha. To you average person who knows nothing about pumping, this might not sound strange (and I'm honestly surprised milk-boy realized it would be weird to pump into a water bottle) but for me, the image of me pumping my boobie juice into a water bottle makes me giggle.
I can only imagine what other people here (at work) might be thinking.....
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment