Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

ways of telling us our baby isn't skinny

When Trent was born he weighed in at 7lb 7oz. When we left the hospital he had dropped to only 7lb 2oz. He gradually gained weight but stayed pretty scrawny (in comparison) for the first month or so. It didn't take long for him to really bulk up after that first month. Almost every time we take him out in public we get a remark about him, and 75% of the time the remark is about his weight (the other 25% is about his hair or eyes or whatever). Now, I'm not complaining AT ALL. I love my chunky little man and I love that he is so pleasantly plump!! Here are some of the ways people have gone about commenting on his weight. Some people try to put it nicely while others are more blunt.
  • "he's a healthy size" - old man at Cracker Barrel
  • "man, he's huge" - guy outside Christiana Hospital
  • "he eats well doesn't he?" - unknown
  • "he so chunky, he looks like the gerber baby. I hope i have a chunky baby" - a non-pregnant girl working the dressing room at Victoria's Secret
  • "how long does it take to feed him....AN HOUR?" - Ryan
  • "my niece is smaller than him and she is 10 months old" - cashier at Pathmark when Trent was 4 or 5 months old
  • "he doesn't skip a meal" - Kevin
  • "how is he so big when you and Kevin are so small" - Mark Buchanan...It cracked me up when he said it.
  • "and a t-bone steak for him...?" - the waitress at Longhorn. I'm not positive that was a jab at Trent's weight, but that's how I took it.
  • and my favorite "he's juicy" - waitress at Red Robin last weekend

and of course he's been compared to the Michelin baby and state puff marshmallow man multiple times. I would consider dressing him up as the state puff marshmallow man for Halloween but that's still a ways off. We'll have to wait and see if he slims down once he starts crawling.

Oh, and my favorite comment about his red hair:

  • "you know redheads are outcasts, right?" - ex-coworker

4 comments:

michelle frieze said...

red heads are outcasts?!?!? Was he/she a red head? lol That is so not true! Red hair is much more common theses days!

aunt karen said...

i can completely relate - try having 3 prematrue and weighing 9.4 7 weeks early,9.6 4 weeks early and 10 3 weeks early. talk about nasty comments from the other parents in the nicu - i had a mom tell me i had no right to be upset that my child was on a respirator because he was so fat.Be happy he is so healthy

barbie said...

wow, your kids were HUGE for being sooo early. well, they were big in general!!

and michelle, no he is not a redhead. just a jokester.

Lorraine Renee' said...

Wow! I think red heads are beautiful, one reason because they are not as common as blondes or brunettes. People say some dumb stuff.

I get comments about Braxton a lot because he is so tall. Ever sinec he was just under 2 people ask if he is 3! Even when he was younger people would say the same type of things like "What are you feeding him". But I guess it is better than them saying "why don't you feed him" or "does he eat" things like that. Your baby is healthy and that is all that matters, right.

These days Braxton doesn't eat much at all. I miss the days when he ate everything :o(