Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Oscar, is that you?

A little back story about me. I work for a consulting engineering firm. We do electrical, mechanical (HVAC) & plumbing design for local commercial buildings. We do alot of schools, MBNA, Gore, office buildings - you get the picture. I work under an electrical engineer doing computer drafting & some design. I can layout receptacles, lights, size conduits and equipment, etc. The more complicated stuff is left to the engineer to figure out. Anyway, I draw these things on the computer and we print them out for the contractors. Back in the day these prints were called Blue Prints. When we get a new job, one of the first things we do is go out to the job site and document the existing conditions - we call this Surveying. I actually helped design the electrical work for our new local YMCA and Kevin ended up being the electrician on the job.

a side note: I pump my breastmilk 3 times a day at work, everyday. This milk is sent to daycare the following day for Trent to eat. It's ok to miss a pump here and there, just so long as you aren't too consistent about it - as your body will start to produce less milk.

Ok, here's the story. A few weeks ago my boss asked if I would go on a survey with him up in NJ. He informed me we would be gone all day. I knew my supply (milk supply) would be ok if I went 8 hours without pumping, but I also knew my breasts would become very full by the end of the day, and in turn I would become very uncomfortable - so I brought my pump with me. Everyone I work with knows I pump (I don't know who thought my pumping would make for good gossip, but it got around quickly), and as you've probably figured out by now, i have no shame! So there I was with my tape measure, floor plans & pump. We were wrapping things up (around noon) when my boss said he needed to check out one more thing and that I should just wait for him. I took this opportunity to find the bathroom and pump. I looked on our floor plans and saw that there was a ladies room on the second floor. When I got upstairs I saw only 1 person on the entire floor. It was mostly just abandoned cubicle walls everywhere. So I finally track down what was supposed to be the ladies room, only to find that its actually a unisex bathroom. Inside I found one stall, one urinal, and one sink. No lock on the door. No outlet to plug the pump into. Do you see where this is going?? Fortunately, I thought ahead and brought 8 AA batteries. That's what it takes to power up the pump when you don't have an outlet to plug into. So I enter the stall, lock the stall door, crouch down on the dirty floor, get the batteries in place, etc etc...i start pumping - then creeeeeek. In walks the ONLY GUY on the entire second floor. And wouldn't you know it, he's on his cell phone talking away. I'm sitting there in a panic. What should I do?! Should I wait it out and hopes he leaves without noticing I'm there. Do I quick try to make a break for it and leave before he notices me? I thought he HAD to know I was there - my pump is kinda loud "eeeee rrrrrrrr eeeeee rrrrrr" - but maybe he didn't notice it since he was talking away on the phone. Well, I didn't know what to do so I started to pack everything up. I finally decided to flush the toilet just so he knew he wasn't alone (i didn't want him to do anything too embarrassing thinking he was alone [as if talking about the how drunk he got last night and the crack he did wasn't embarrassing enough]). I got no reaction out of him after I flushed the toilet but at least he knew someone was in there. I decided I was just going to wait for him to leave the bathroom then wait a minute and leave myself (hopefully unnoticed), when

"Hey Oscar, Is that you?"

He was now off the phone and talking me.

My heart skipped a beat. "umm, no. but Ill be out of here in a minute".

At this point I'm not sure who panicked more. He kept apologizing as he finished up at the urinal (eek) and washed his hands. Then he told me it was "safe to come out now". We both had a good laugh about the whole thing and made witty little remarks to try to lighten the mood.

Once out of the bathroom we parted ways in a hurry. I went back downstairs to wait for my boss for another 5 minutes or so - and he went who-knows-where. My boss finally came around and we headed out to the car. But guess who was also outside near the car. Yup - Urinal Guy. To make things even more awkward he puts his arm around me and told me I was a good sport. We made a few more jokes about the whole thing then said goodbye and left. In the car my boss asked me how I knew whats-his-name. I just said we ran into each other upstairs. Luckily I dont go to Jersey much.

3 comments:

Alicia Kennedy said...

Even though I knew this story already, I read the whole thing. Still funny.

Anonymous said...

This story is just to funny!I wonder....Where was Oscar?

Lorraine Renee' said...

Hilarious!!! Thanks for the laugh!